A waterproofing system or a waterproofing membrane system should not be confused with a shower pan.
For the last 30 years, we have been educating my customers and other tile installers on the importance of waterproofing and moisture control in a shower. It is the waterproofing that is the single most important component in your shower, which will determine the overall life expectancy of the shower.
The concept of waterproofing has been around for over 40 years. However, just recently has been understood and applied by the average tile contractor. When properly installed, a waterproofing membrane will eliminate and prevent the building materials from becoming wet and saturated. The waterproofing membrane will also prevent your walls from wicking up the water from a wet and saturated shower floor.
There is often a misconception amongst consumers that tile and grout should be relied upon to waterproof a shower. Tile and grout ARE NOT waterproof products, nor will they prevent a shower from becoming wet and saturated. A properly installed waterproofing system will allow you to theoretically, turn the water on without any tile or grout installed in the shower.
- Schluter-System Waterproofing Products
- Ardex Waterproofing Membrane
- Nac Waterproofing Membrane
- Compotite Waterproofing Membrane
- Laticrete Waterproofing Membrane
- Mapei Waterproofing Membrane
- Wedi Waterproofing Membrane
- Protecto Wrap Membrane
- Mer Krete Waterproofing Membrane
- Custom Waterproofing Membrane
- Proflex Waterproofing Membrane
- Noble Company Waterproofing Membrane
- Hydroban Waterproofing System